This is a Army Reserve position that is part time (evenings and weekends) over the school year with the option for full time over the summer months (01 May to 31 August). Members stay local and are not posted to other parts of the Country - but they can transfer to Regiments across the Country if they are moving for other reasons.
As a Reserve position it balances well with school schedules and augments well with other Full or Part time employment elsewhere.
Thursday evening training is conducted out of the Belleville armouries some travel is required for weekend and summer training but we provide transport.
Infantry Soldiers are the Army’s primary combat fighters and are responsible for closing with and engaging the enemy. They are the core members of the Combat Arms team, which includes Artillery and Armored Soldiers. Infantry Soldiers are capable of operating anywhere in the world in any environment – Arctic tundra, mountains, jungle or desert – and in any combination of arms, including airmobile and amphibious operations. The primary duties of an Infantry Soldiers are to:
• Expertly operate and maintain a wide range of weapons, including rifle, hand-grenades, light, medium and heavy machine-guns, and anti-tank weapons
• Use sophisticated equipment for field communications, navigation and night-vision surveillance
• Inspect and maintain weapon systems, vehicles, survival gear and personal defensive equipment
• Operate with support elements such as fighter aircraft, tactical and artillery
• Engage in unarmed combat
• Employ camouflage and concealment, patrol, assault, defence, and escape-and-evasion tactics
Reserve Infantry Members complete three courses as part of their initial training
• Basic Military Qualification: This is the first course completed by all members of the Canadian Armed Forces, it teaches all of the basic skills required for CAF service (Dress, Drill, Discipline and Deportment, First Aid and CPR, navigation with a map and compass, C7 Service Rifle, etc). The Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment offers this course as a weekend course (2-3 weekends a month from October - March) or a full time course over the summer months (4.5 weeks).
• DP1 Infantry Mod 1: This course teaches all of the Infantry weapon systems (C9 Light Machinegun, C6 General Purpose Machinegun, C13 Hand Grenades, and M203 Grenade Launcher). This course is only completed as a 4 week full time course over the summer months.
• DP1 Infantry Mod 2: This course teaches all of the Infantry specific small unit tactics. This course is only completed as a 4.5 week full time course completed over the summer months.
The Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment is an Infantry Regiment with an Assault Pioneer specialization. Fully qualified Infantry members in this Regiment can take specialize as an Assault Pioneer by taking the Assault Pioneer course. Assault Pioneers are trained on a number of Combat Engineer orientated tasks such as: obstacle creation and destruction, door breaching, assault boats etc. This course is currently only run as a full time course over the summer months.
To be eligible to apply you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
Age: Between the ages of 16 and 56 (under the age of 18 requires parental consent)
Citizenship: Canadian Citizen
Education: Minimum of a grade ten education
Eligible applicants will complete a Aptitude test, Fitness test, Medical, Interview and Background check to determine if they will be hired. All of this testing is completed in 2 appointments and can be completed at our Belleville, Cobourg or Peterborough armouries.
As a CAF Reserve position the amount of income made is directly tied to the amount of work the member puts into it. It does not have a guarantee of full time employment year round but we do offer Full Time Summer Employment from 01 May to 31 August (or any lesser date range within those dates) for the first 4 years of a members career.
Up to $2000 towards post secondary education per year with a maximum claimable amount of $8000 for a members career - there are some conditions to this.
Dental benefits for the member only (does not cover family members).