The County of Hastings is currently accepting applications for a temporary full-time Caseworker at the County Administration Building in Belleville, ON. The Primary function is to assist individuals in temporary financial need to find sustainable employment and achieve self-reliance through the provision of effective and integrated employment, stability supports and financial assistance services with a case management approach that focuses on life stabilization efforts. Manage all aspects of an Ontario Works caseload through the consistent interpretation, application and delivery of the Ontario Works Act, legislation and directives.
- Conduct initial and subsequent client interviews/assessments to determine and monitor ongoing eligibility for employment and financial assistance in accordance with legislative and regulatory authority, policy directives and local business practices.
- Negotiate and provide a broad range of employment assistance activities and stability supports to re-connect participants to employment and towards increased independence based on individual circumstances and employment needs.
- Issue financial and employment assistance in support of participation in Ontario Works through the provincial software (SAMS).
- Provide a formal notice and review process for participants to address issues related to their eligibility.
- Make determinations pertaining to the refusal, reduction or cancellation of assistance.
- Complete assigned data clean-up and required work around procedures and touch the file initiatives.
- Contribute in team activities and committees to develop strategies to meet prescribed employment assistance outcomes, optimize customer service and design best practices.
- Participate in educational and training opportunities and attend regular staff meetings to maintain and strengthen current working knowledge of legislation, regulations, policies, local business processes and community resources to ensure ongoing effective case management.
- Fulfil data collection, reporting and audit requirements including accurate data entry in SAMS and thorough documentation to support eligibility decisions.
- Assess client needs and provide direct referrals to other income security funded programs i.e. ODSP, CPP.
- Provide information to clients and make appropriate community resource referrals as they relate to budgeting, housing retention, food security and community safety and well-being.
- Perform duties in the event of a peacetime emergency as set forth in the County of Hastings Emergency Response Plan.
- Other duties as may be required from time to time.
- University Degree (preferred); or College Diploma in Social Service Work with related practical experience.
- Two years’ work experience in a Social Services Environment.
- Strong working knowledge of the Ontario Works Act and a comprehensive knowledge of related acts and legislation specifically the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) and the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).
- Ability to calculate and analyze eligibility for financial and employment assistance.
- Strong customer service and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently as well as within a team setting.
- Capacity to work well under pressure and remain flexible in a dynamic environment.
- Effective communication and interviewing skills with the ability to interact with staff, clients, outside agencies and the general public.
- Ability to apply discretion and good judgement when dealing with highly confidential and sensitive issues and situations including identifying and responding to service barriers.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work to meet Ministry requirements and ongoing project initiatives and deadlines.
- Must possess an extensive awareness of other government funded income security programs and of the local labour market including community training and educational opportunities.
- Strong computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Thorough working knowledge of the Social Assistance Management System (SAMS) is preferred.
- Must obtain and maintain a satisfactory Criminal Record Check (CPIC).
- Must possess a current valid Driver’s License and have reliable transportation.
OTHER CONSIDERATIONS/ENHANCED QUALIFICATIONS
- A diploma or degree in an alternate discipline may be considered equivalent
HOURS OF WORK: 8:30-4:30 (Monday – Friday)
RATE OF PAY: $55,073.50 - $64,798.45/annum
Please send resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com
Quote: 2023-496-CHS-338 in the subject line
Closing Date: Friday, November 17, 2023 by 4pm
Human Resources Advisor
Talent Management & Acquisition
In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information collected will be used only for the purposes of this employment opportunity.
We thank all candidates who apply, but advise that only those persons selected for an interview will be contacted.
The County of Hastings is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Please contact us if you require this posting in an alternate format. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Salary: $55,073.50-$64,798.45 per year
Work Location: In person